These pumpkins are one of my most favorite things I have made this year. I love that they can be pumpkins or gourds because I decorate my house with both. These were so cheap and easy to make but really bring a lot of depth to my Fall decor. Also, one of the best parts of them is I can easily take the stem out of the top and use these for my Christmas decor as well. I love that so much.
This project is actually what spurred my “I am going to sell all my fancy yarn and I buy a saw!” moment. Which by the way I am still having that moment and it is going great.
How did I make these?
- Standard 4 x 4 from Lowes –
- Sizes cut to 5″, 6″, 7″ lengths tall or to desired length.
- Wooden Dowel Rod –
- Cut to whatever size lengths you want for stem.
- Drill with Spade Bit
- Wood Stain –
- My color used is ebony
- Acrylic Paint – Apple Barrel
- Golden Sunset
- Arbor Green
- Waverly wax –
- Color is Antique
- Cut your 4 x4 into the height you want your pumpkins to be.
- Sand your pieces lightly
- Cut your dowel rod down into what lengths you want the stems to be.
- Use Drill with Spade bit to create hole on top of block for dowel to fit into for the stem.
- Paint each pumpkin whatever color you like, let dry
- Cover each pumpkin in the wax, and wipe off immediately for the wax stain to leave a lighter color. Let dry
- Stain your dowel rod, or paint them, to whatever color you choose and let dry.
- Put dowel rod into the top of the pumpkin, glue if you so choose, add a bow for more embellishment if you like.
You can do a lot to make these your own. I am sure a lot of people would prefer a bow and more embellishment to theirs. I tried a bow, but I am not a frills and bows type decorator. I hope this gave you enough of an idea on how to achieve this look. There are lot of tutorials out there on this idea, but I like the colors I chose and thought they were different. I love that they can be taken as pumpkins or gourds and someone might be interested in what colors I used for this look. If you do take inspiration from this post please share and let others know you got your inspiration from briannalentz.com. I am trying to grown my site and that would be so appreciated ❤