I find it really hard sometimes to find the most simple and straightforward things on the internet. For example, I wanted to make a very simple knit hat for my 2 and half year old and most of the patterns I found had all the bells and whistles and I do not enjoy knitting enough to figure out all the bells and whistles.
I just wanted to make a super cute and simple hat for my toddler to wear when we go play outside. Why worsted weight yarn? Because that is what most of my stash consists of. Yes, I could have crocheted her a hat, but I also just felt like knitting something simple and easy and I wanted the look of a knit hat for her. Oh hey, by the way, this ties in to my running series of How to Make Your House a Home on a Dime. You can make this wool hat for $3~. Just sayin’
I understand crochet and am versed enough in crochet to see a pattern and adjust it entirely to fit my specic needs, however knitting to me is really difficult and I do enjoy it but I like to stick to the pattern exactly and want the pattern to spoon feed me exactly what to do – or have a pattern that is cut and dry and to the point… like most of my recipes and patterns. That is just how I like those things to be – it makes everything very clear for me without the fluff.
SO HERE YOU GO INTERNET, a very simple and direct Toddler Knit Hat Beanie Pattern and it is free <3
- Yarn : Worsted Weight yarn — I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease in colorWhite/Multi
- Knitting Needles: Size 6/ 4mm 16″ Circular Needles and Size 6 DPNS
- Tapestry Needle
- Stitch Marker
- Pom Pom is optional — I used a faux fur pom pom from stash
- With 16″ Circular Needles cast on 80 Stitches. Place your marker and join in the round.
- Knit in 2 x2 ribbing for 1.5″ Inches.
- Knit all stitches for 3-4″ (if your child has a large head definitely do at least 3.5″ inches knitting. I did 3″ and my child is smaller and is in the 50 percentile at her 2 year old check up and 3″ fits her perfectly at 2 1/2 years old.
- Start decreases/shaping
- Round 1 – *Knit 8, K2TOG, repeat from * to end.
- Round 2 – and all even rounds – Knit every stitch.
- Round 3 – *Knit 7, K2TOG, repeat from * to end.
- Round 5 – *Knit 6, K2TOG, repeat from * to end.
- Round 7 – *Knit 5, K2TOG, repeat from * to end.
- Round 9 – *Knit 4, K2TOG, repeat from * to end.
- Round 11 – *Knit 3, K2TOG, repeat from * to end.
- Round 13 – *Knit 2, K2TOG, repeat from * to end.
- Round 15 – *Knit 1, K2TOG, repeat from * to end.
- Round 16 – *K2TOG, repeat from * to end. 8 stitches should remain
- Cut yarn leaving 10 inch tail. Using you tapestry needle, pull tail through remaining stitches, and towards the inside. Weave in ends.
- Attach your pom pom if you choose to and you are all done!