The other day I was at Hobby Lobby buying fabric for a customer and my 2 year old daughter saw and had to have some Peppe Pig fabric. For the sake of my trip, I said ok…I will buy a yard of that. (She carried that yard of fabric around the entire store – even the Christmas aisles. It was worth buying just to keep her hands occupied!) Now, at home, the question was what the heck do I make with this single yard of Peppa Pig fabric?
Well, the obvious choice was clearly a lined Peppa Pig skirt with pink bias tape!
I have made a few of these before, years ago, for my oldest daughter in My Little Pony fabric. But like I said, it was a few years ago. I refreshed myself with some tutorials online and boom. She had a skirt.
Now my daughter is skinny… and so are both my daughters. The idea is simple and the same across the board with creating your own measurements for this skirt.
For the fabric, take the measurement of the waist and times that by 2.
Then for the length of the skirt, measure how long you want the skirt to be and add 3.5″
For the elastic, take the measurement of the waist and add an inch.
- Now – here I want to stop and say something.
- If your kid is a skinny mini with a tiny waist – Take your waist measurement and cut your elastic to that measurement. Or even half and inch less. Elastic is stretchy. Do not add the inch of elastic. Every single time I make this skirt I always forget my kids are skinny and they need it taken in a little bit because the elastic adds so much stretch.
So for me my 2 year old my Measurements Used –
- Fabric – 36″ x 12.5″
- Elastic – 17.5″
- Biast Tape – 38″ – Extra is always better
To create a lined skirt with bias tape Materials Used –
- Fabric (pre-washed)
- Lining Fabric (pre-washed)
- 3/4″ Wide non- roll or Knit Elastic
- Double Fold Bias Tape
This skirt was super simple and relatively fast to make. Also, for me the cost of this skirt was maybe a $2 because I only used a 1/3 of the yard I purchased and I had everything else in my stash. Though I should say this skirt is priceless for how much my daughter loves this. This is a great project for any budget – Another great way to make your house a home on a budget. <3